Gobi Manchurian

Posted by Lisa on Monday, January 15, 2007. Filed under:

I enjoy the taste of Chinese Cuisines served by Indian restaurants... ;-p. Chili Chicken, Chilli Gobi.. and Gobi Manchurian are my favorite. For me they don't taste like the chinese food I've known before. I always joke to my husband whenever we visit chinese restaurant in Cochin... "aaaah.. you mean, Indian Chinese food.." hehehe. They actually really new taste for me. I mean, I rarely find this kind in Chinese restaurant in Indonesia.

But I like it anyway. Especially when it served dry, not with gravy. I think most of Restaurant in Cochin serve them with gravy because most of people still enjoy them as a side dish for chappati or porrota... Hmmm, Nice combination of chinese and Indian then.. :-)

For the cauliflower:
250 grams cauliflower (1 medium size), cut into small florets
1/3 cup corn flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
1/3 cup water (approx)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper powder

Sauce:
1 medium size Onion, chopped
2 garlics, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
2 green chilies, chopped
1 tbsp soya sauce
4 tbsp hot and sweet sauce
1/2 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp white pepper powder
salt as per taste
1 tbsp corn flour dissolve in 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chopped green onion + green corriander

In a bowl mix maida, corn flour, salt and pepper by adding water to form a fine batter. Add the cauliflower into the batter and mix well. Heat oil in a pan, deep fry the cauliflower florets covered with batter until brown and cooked. Set aside.

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add chooped Onion, green chilies, minced garlic and ginger. Saute in high flame for 5 minutes until they turn slightly tender. Add soy sauce, hot & sweet sauce and vinegar. Saute again for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper powder. Then add the corn flour mixture and cook until the sauce thicken. Add the fried cauliflower and mix them so all the florets is covered with the sauce. Remove from flame and garnish with chopped green onion and crriander leaves.

16 Responses to Gobi Manchurian

  1. Anonymous

    Aprilisa,

    First time commenting here and I must say that you have a very nice food blog going here. I will get to know more about Indonesian cuisine thro your blog. Keep them coming..:)

    Happy New Year!

  2. Anonymous

    I love this blog and the pictures you take. How is living in cochin? I love all the Indonesian snacks you are posting. Will be a regular from now on.
    And also thanks for the link.

  3. Lisa

    Hi Sailu..

    I already visited your blog since long time ago.. :-) I really happy to find your comment here in my blog. Thanks...

  4. Lisa

    Hi Gini...

    I always love your blog too. Thanks for visiting and thanks for adding my blog in your list.. :-)

  5. Anonymous

    I was kind of hoping you would update the recipe. I will try this over the weekend. Looks just like at the restaurant.
    The chinese food in India is definitely one of a kind.

  6. Anonymous

    I was waiting for this recipe, Aprilisa. Its quite similar to what I prepare. Am going to bookmark your recipe.

    I must tell you that you take very good shots of your food. Very good photography!!

  7. Nidhi

    Hello Lisa, your recipe for Gobhi Manchurian is very nice. I love Indo-Chineese food a lot and will try your recipe. Thanks, Nidhi.

  8. Seema Bhat

    Aprilisa,
    This is not my first time here and I must say again that you have beautiful recipes in here to add to that is your lovely presentations on each of them. I loved this Gobi Manchurian picture and the recipe is a little different from what I have or make. Will try adding venigar next time. Loved the color of the dish.

  9. Anonymous

    Aprilisa, your blog is wonderful! I discovered it while surfing and I must say, you have a knack for good food. Am sure you are a fantastic cook! Will be a regular reader of your recipes from now on..

    Priya

  10. zlamushka

    This is so far my favorite one. i love spicy and love vegetables. So, I ll be defiitelly makin this one soon :) ... bookmarked.

  11. zlamushka

    Hi Lisa,

    I have been very inspired by your Gobi Manchurian and as promised, I made it and blogged about it. Please, have a look here:

    http://www.burntmouth.com/2007/08/hot-and-sour-chinese-chili-sauce.html

    Thanx a lot :)

  12. Anonymous

    Hi Lisa

    I'm not even sure how I got to your blog, but I'm glad I did! :) Keep the (Indonesian) recipes coming! How do you like Kerala cuisine? Were you familiar with it before you moved to Kerala?

  13. Anonymous

    hi
    i am new to cooking. i tried manchurian n it came out well. thanks a lot for ur recipe.

  14. Kitchen cabinets

    You have stunning recipes in here to add to that is your lovely presentations on each of them. I loved this Gobi Manchurian picture and the recipe is a tiny different from what I have or make.

  15. nose job

    it was so yummy!! simple to prepare. scrummy gobi manchurian in now of our favourite dishes! it is lovely any time snack as well. keep going & post some other healthy & speedy recipes.

  16. www.salamanca-3d.com

    Quite worthwhile data, thanks for your post.