This is my Mom's style of Layers Steamed Cake. Layers Steamed Cake is one of many popular snacks in Indonesia. And I love it when my Mother make it. I never make this cake as perfect as she does. I always have a problem with the layer's. It never be flat and smooth.. hahaha.
For the colors, red, white and green are always be the favorite. But you can use any other color of course. Brown color of chocolate is often use to replace the red layer. Even if you don't wish to use food color, just leave it. It will not give any differences with the taste. But you will not get the beautiful appearence and good aroma of the cake, of course.
This steamed cake doesn't need any butter or margarine. To make it soft, we use coconut milk instead. And if you don't have cake emulsifier in your kitchen, don't worry. Just leave it. You still can make the cake even without it.
250 grams sugar
1 tsp cake emulsifier (optional)
200 -250 grams all purpose flour (approx)
2 glasses of thick coconut milk.
2 pandan leaves
1/2 tsp salt
red & green food colors
1. Arrange a large steamer over boiling water. Make sure it is large enough to hold the baking pan and there is enough water to make a lot of steam.
2. In a large bowl beat together with an electric mixer : eggs, sugar and cake emulsifier on high speed until light and fluffy (the mixture has increased about three times in volume)
3. Add the flour and coconut milk alternately in batches. Mix-well with a spatulla.
4. Divide the batter into 3, add each part with avalable food color. Mix well.
5. Pour one color batter to a greased pan, Place the pan into the steamer. Cover the top of the steamer with a kitchen towel, and place the lid on top; the towel will absorb any steam that collects on top from dripping onto the cake. Steam for about 5 minute, then pour over the first layer the next colored batter, and steam for another 5 minutes.
6. Pour the last layer and then steam the whole cake for around 20 - 25 minutes.