Bolu Sakura (Caramel Steamed Cake)

Posted by Lisa on Friday, November 16, 2012. Filed under: , ,

So, here I am updating this blog after more than 5 years break! LOL
I start to do my old hobby of baking lately but never thought of continue to document it in this blog, until some friends asked me to. I have my oven back in my kitchen, even though I don't have anymore baking tools collections like I use to have few years back.  I'm not planning to bake everyday anyway.  So, let's see what I can do.

I made this steamed cake a week ago, and then I found out that Miss B from Everybody Eats Well in Flanders is hosting Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012).  I decided that this could be one of the right reasons to start to write again, LOL.

Bolu Sakura (Caramel Steamed Cake) is one of Indonesia's popular steam cake.  We can find it in almost every part of Indonesia.  This is my first time to make my own Bolu Sakura, and I am really happy with the result.  


Ingredients:
500 grams granulated sugar
500 ml of boiled water
220 ml chicken eggs (4 eggs medium size)
100 melted butter/ margarine
1 tsp vanilla
Butter/veggie oil to spread

Sift together:
450 grams all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon of baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Direction:
1. Prepare some small sakura/ flower cake molds, spread with butter/vegetable oil. Set aside. Heat up water in a steamer to boil. Wrap the steamer lid with a cloth napkin.
2. Place 250 grams sugar into a pan and and cook until it turn brown and caramelized. Pour the water gradually, do not stir instantly. Let it cook until boiling then have it a stir. Put a side.
3. Beat eggs, vanilla with the remaining sugar until thick and fluffy. Pour the caramelized sugar while keep beating at low speed until blended. Turn off the mixer.
4. Stir in the sifted-flour until well blended. Add melted butter/margarine gradually, stirring gently with a spatula until well blended.
5. Pour the batter into each mold up to 3/4 full. Steam for 15 minutes until cooked. Take it out from steamer. Let it cool slightly then remove from mold. Serve.

PS: If you don’t have those small molds, you may use a cake/pudding mold (made from plastic).

servings: 40pcs (small molds)

5 Responses to Bolu Sakura (Caramel Steamed Cake)

  1. Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders

    Lisa, thank you for your participation in Steaming Hot Cakes! I am so glad that Aspiring Bakers has inspired you to blog about your bakes again after a long hiatus of 5 years. This Bolu Sakura looks really lovely. I have not heard of this cake before, thanks for introducing this cake to the rest of us!

  2. Anonymous

    halo ..can you help me?? i need recipe call (Kue Kukus)plzz my twitter account @Ombre_Coco follow me so we can talk

  3. Mich - Piece of Cake

    Caramel steamed cake sounds really delicious...

  4. Zoe

    Hi Lisa,

    You seems to be one of the queens of steamed cakes for this event. These caramel ones look very pretty and delicious.

    Nice to know you via blogging. I'm your latest follower :D

  5. Unknown

    Bolu, loves the taste and texture~

    BEE Bee&co [www.tokoroti.web.id]