Masala Chai

Posted by Lisa on Monday, December 4, 2006. Filed under:

I was in a trip to Hyderabad a couple years ago when the first time I tried this kind of tea. Normally, I make an ordinary type of tea. Simply boil some water and add tea powder in it. Sometimes I pour in milk or just let it plain without milk and sugar. Even enjoying tea with milk is quite a new thing for me. I just knew it after my marriage with my husband, and learn about tea time tradition in India.

This Masala Chai tastes excellent. I fell in love with it instantly. When I reached back to my home in Cochin, I started to make my own masala chai. Well, it takes more time for me to get the best taste I expected. But this recipe below is perfect. At least for me and my husband. So enjoy your tea...

Ingredients:
2 cups of water
3 tsp tea leaves/ 2 tsp powdered tea
1 piece of Dry Ginger, crushed
4 cardamom seeds, crushed
4 cloves
1 piece cinnamon stick
4 black pepercorn
1 cup of whole milk
sugar as you desire

In a medium pot, bring water to boil, add tea leaves/powdered tea to it. Boil again until the liquid darken. Add all the masala to the tea. And let it simmer for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Do not over-boil because it will make the tea taste too strong. Remove the tea from the heat. Strain and pour the tea to 3 cups equally. Add milk and sugar as desired. Your Masala Chai are ready to serve.

There is a very easy way to make the Chai in a minute. Go to a big Supemarket and get yourself an Instant Masala Tea Powder in a box .. ;-p

You don't need to add anything to it, except milk of course. Just boil it with water and the Chai is ready. I brought some of these Instant Masala Tea to Jakarta early this year when I go home to visit my parents and family. It's so easy to make...

Well, I got to go now... Want to enjoy my tea... :-)


1 Response to Masala Chai

  1. Lia

    gw tiap hari minum dan bikin masala tea, tapi napah yah perasaan gw tetep enakan di restoran, kekekekkke....